Today I’m sharing with you a recipe I’ve been wanting to try for some time now. I LOVE brownies. They are probably my number one choice of dessert. When I saw this sweet potato recipe on Deliciously Ella, I knew I had to give them a try. The ingredient list is fairly simple and it is both vegan and gluten-free.
I really liked how these brownies turned out. You can taste the not-so subtle hint of sweet potato, but this doesn’t bother me as I do really enjoy this vegetable. The chocolaty taste makes my sweet tooth smile and they are also very moist and squishy. Overall, these sweet potato brownies are a great nutritious and guilt-free dessert!
- 2 large sweet potatoes (~1.5 lbs)
- 1½ cups medjool dates (~15 dates)
- 3 tbsp pure maple syrup
- ½ cup brown rice flour
- ⅔ cup ground almonds
- 4 tbsp cacao powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- oil of choice
- Wash & peel the sweet potatoes. Cut the potatoes into medium-sized cubes & place in a microwave-safe bowl. Add a little water to the bowl (a few tablespoons), cover with plastic wrap & microwave on high for 6 mins.
- In the meantime, mix together flour, almonds, cacao powder & salt in a large bowl & set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 360°F (180°C).
- Remove sweet potato from microwave & combine with dates & maple syrup in a food processor. Process until mixture is smooth.
- Add sweet potato mixture to the dry ingredient bowl & mix well. You may need to use your hands.
- Grease a 9x9 pan with oil, add the brownie mixture & spread evenly.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when pierced in the center.
- Let cool for 10 mins (important for setting as these brownies are very moist). Flip pan upside-down on a cutting board; the brownies will easily come out of the pan. Let cool for an extra 5 mins. Cut into two-bite squares & store in an airtight container.