Mmmmmm chocolate. Who doesn’t like chocolate?
These brownies are super decadent, chewy & moist without highly processed, low nutritive ingredients.
They’re high in fiber from the black beans and have essential fatty acids from the avocado.
If you love dark chocolate, you’ll love these bad boys!
Very easy to make – combine in a food processor and stick in the oven.
Delicious and healthy dessert.
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 4 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- 1 540 ml (19 fl oz) can black beans (choose no sodium/salt added), drained & rinsed
- ½ medium/large avocado, pitted & skin removed
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup sugar (choose raw, unrefined - I used coconut palm sugar)
- ¾ cup cacao powder*
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp dark chocolate chips (choose vegan if necessary)
- ½ tsp coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Combine flaxseed & almond milk in a food processor & let sit 1-2 mins for the flax to absorb some of the milk & thicken up.
- Add black beans, avocado, vanilla & sugar & process until smooth. Then add cacao & baking powder & process again until fully combined. The brownie batter will be quite thick - it should resemble cookie dough. Add a little almond milk & process again if batter is too thick (processor is having a hard time processing).
- Grease an 8 x 8 inch pan with oil & add brownie batter. Use a spatula to scrap down food processor edges & spread batter into an even layer.
- Place ¼ cup chocolate chips & coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 50-60 seconds to melt chocolate. Stir & pour on top of brownie batter. Using a knife, swirl chocolate into batter & sprinkle remaining chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 25 mins, until an inserted knife comes out relatively clean. Do not over-bake brownies, you don't want to dry them out. Allow pan to cool & cut into desired size brownies - I cut my pan 4 x 4 to make 16 small brownies. Store in an air-tight container in the fridge or freeze them. Best served at room temperature or cold.
Recipe adapted from Monique at Ambitious Kitchen.