Today I’m reflecting on the past year and the wonderful experiences and opportunities I’ve had.
I’m so thankful and blessed to be surrounded by inspirational, driven, warm-hearted and caring people & I’m giving thanks to them today.
Today I’m sharing with you a recipe from my thanksgiving dinner table. These stuffed pumpkins were the centrepiece of the dinner table and I’m so glad they were a hit. I love fall colours, and this dish is so beautiful to display and truly embodies the fall spirit.
- 3 mini pumpkins (I used slightly larger sized pumpkins)
- 2 tbsp oil of choice (I used canola)
- ½ medium onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled & grated
- ½ cup basmati rice, rinsed
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup canned black beans, drained & rinsed
- salt to taste
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan on medium-high heat & add onion. Sauté until slightly translucent, about 2-3 mins. Add grated carrot & sauté for another 2-3 mins.
- Add basmati rice, water & dried cranberries. Stir to combine, bring to a boil & simmer on medium-low heat for about 20-25 mins.
- While the rice cooks, prepare & bake the pumpkins. Begin by preheating the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Cut the tops of the mini pumpkins off & using a large spoon, scoop out seeds & strings. Fill a deep baking pan with water so that the water is ½ inch (1.5cm) high. Place pumpkins upside down (hollow side into the water) & their tops into the pan. Bake for 15 mins. Remove from oven, turn pumpkins upright (bottom into the water) & bake for another 10 mins, until flesh is tender when pierced with a fork.
- When the rice has absorbed all the water, taste to make sure it is cooked to your liking. If the texture is harder than you prefer, add a little more water & let the rice cook a little longer. When the rice is finished, stir in black beans & add salt to taste.
- Stuff rice into pumpkins with a spoon & serve immediately.