The first month of 2015 (& my birthday month) is now over. January whizzed by for me – time flies when you’re having fun! I’m honestly really enjoying winter so far. In previous years I dreaded the snow, cold, slush, wind, pretty much everything about winter (except Christmas). Last year I took up snowboarding and bought myself an ultra warm parka which has made me actually enjoy being outside in the cold. I purchased top and bottom thermals this year for the slopes which make such a big difference! I’m slowly turning into a snow bunny! I never thought I’d see the day!
This pancake recipe is a vegan modification to my popular 3 ingredient banana oat pancakes. You can see the original recipe here. I’ve been switching between these two recipes in the morning, and can honestly say they are my favourite breakfast. This recipe is so simple, quick, and easy to make. I love that it doesn’t take a lot of time in the morning, but it’s hearty and keeps me full throughout my morning. The flax and chia seeds have essential fats and provide various vitamins and minerals. You really can’t go wrong with these gems!
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 4 tbsp liquid (use a non-dairy milk or water)
- 1 ripe banana
- ⅓ cup oats (can use large flake or quick)
- ½ tsp cinnamon (optional, but recommended)
- pinch of salt
- Combine chia seeds, flaxseed & liquid in a bowl & set aside for 5 mins until the mixture becomes gelatinous.
- Mash the banana with a fork. I like to mash ¾ of the banana and slice the remainder for a different texture.
- Once the chia/flax mixture is gelatinous, combine all ingredients.
- Heat a little bit of oil (I use coconut) in a large frying pan on medium heat. Scoop 4 palm-sized pancakes into the pan & cook for about 3 mins. Flip & cook for another 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate & top with your choice of toppings - I like to top with fruit, coconut flakes & nuts. Serve immediately & enjoy!