Spring is in the air! The weather is slowly warming up, the snow has begun to melt, and the sun is gracing us with more of its presence. This is bringing a little extra joy and happiness to my days. Although I still want to hit the slopes a few more times, I am looking forward to trench coat weather. I’m almost ready to retire my winter parka for the season!
The week ahead is a busy yet exciting one for me: I am travelling to Calgary for 7 days. I’ll be visiting a few friends and exploring the city. I first paid a visit to Calgary last summer and fell in love with its laidback, friendly spirit and of course its gorgeous nature! I really can’t wait to go back – I’ve been counting down the days for months.
Today I’m sharing with you a soup creation of mine. In December, while I was travelling in Germany, I had a delicious bowl of beet, ginger, and coconut milk soup. I knew I had to try to recreate it when I returned home. I found a simple recipe on Pinterest for a similar soup, but the reviews were saying that it lacked body. I decided to throw in some sweet potato for added flavour and creaminess. I am so happy and proud with how it turned out! This soup is absolutely delicious, and not to mention colourful!
The lemon tahini drizzle is an optional addition to this soup, but I do love the slight bit of acidic kick it gives. I had this soup in the fridge for 4 days and it easily heats up in the microwave and still tastes great!
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 leek, roughly chopped, white & light green parts only
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled & cut into ½ inch chunks
- 4 large beets, peeled & cut into ½ inch chunks
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 3 tbsp finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 can reduced fat coconut milk
- salt & pepper, to taste
- parsley, to garnish (optional)
- ¼ cup tahini
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ⅛ tsp cumin
- ⅛ tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp salt
- pinch of ground black pepper
- In a large pot, heat oil on medium-high heat. Add leek & onions & sauté until leeks become soft & slightly translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic & sauté for another minute. Add sweet potato, beets & vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat & simmer until sweet potato & beets are fork-tender, about 20 minutes.
- Prepare the tahini while the soup cooks. Combined all ingredients & whisk until smooth. I used my Magic Bullet for this.
- Once the sweet potato & beets are tender, add ginger & coconut milk. Stir to combine & add salt & pepper to your liking (I added about ½ tsp of each). Remove from heat & puree soup using an immersion blender.
- Serve soup hot, drizzled with tahini & garnished with parsley. I transferred my tahini into a sandwich bag, cut off the corner & piped it on top of my soup. I found this was the easiest way to create the perfect drizzle.