Breakfast is easily my favourite meal of the day. I love breakfast foods; oats and eggs are my absolute favourites and I enjoy trying new recipes that have them as the main ingredient. This overnight oats recipe is one that I concocted recently and has been given the stamp of approval by myself and my roommate. I really like overnight oats because they are a quick breakfast that is perfect for a morning when I don’t have much time before I need to leave for the day.
I’m a batch cooker and like to make multiple servings of this recipe to have in my fridge. My preference is also to warm up the oats in the microwave for about 30-45 seconds before eating. I’ve always been a person that enjoys warm breakfasts rather than cold ones, regardless of the season. This recipe is great for either preference as it’s delicious both warm and cold. These oats honestly couldn’t get any easier – just throw all ingredients in a bowl, section into containers, and place in the fridge overnight.
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 Splenda packs (or sweetener of your choice)
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp ground ginger
- pinch of salt
- 1¼ cup light coconut or almond milk
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 ripe pear, diced
- Combine oats, flaxseed, chia seeds, Splenda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and salt in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine milk, applesauce, and vanilla extract. Add wet mixture to the dry ingredients and mix well, folding in half the diced pears.
- Separate oat mixture between two containers - I like to use mason jars. Top each container with remaining diced pears and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Close the containers and place in the fridge overnight. The oats, flaxseed, and chia seeds will absorb the liquid and turn into oatmeal-like consistency. Enjoy in the morning cold or my preference is to pop it in the microwave for 30 seconds to warm up slightly.