I’ve neglected my blog a little the past few months while I focused my free time on couple’s photography, fitness, and getting to know a special someone that has come into my life. It disappoints me that the last recipe I shared was over 4 months ago, but as I reflect on the time that has passed, it warms me to know how much has transpired. I’m still the same fun-loving, bubbly Anna that meal plans every week and tries new recipes. However, one of the biggest changes has been my acceptance to the Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine! I am so happy and proud to say that my career goal of becoming a Naturopathic Doctor is coming true!
A life that is fuelled by natural means such as diet, physical activity, spirituality, and alternative medicine continues to be a passion of mine. I am greatly looking forward to starting CCNM in September and journey that follows the four years ahead. As my masters at the University of Calgary is coming to a close, I’m having bittersweet emotions of leaving Calgary and moving back home to Toronto. I’ve really come to love the YYC, the mountains, and the Calgarian race. I’m not quite sure how I feel about going back to the hustle and bustle of the 6ix. I know I’ll adjust, but a little of my heart will always be out West.
Today, I’m sharing with you a vegan pistachio cake. I stumbled upon the recipe on Pinterest, which was posted on the blog Eat Drink Shrink. I absolutely love the way this cake turned out. The sweet almond/pistachio taste, coupled with the moist texture and beautiful green colour makes this cake appealing to both your taste buds and eyes. I really recommend this recipe!
- ½ cup + ¾ cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup pistachios, unsalted & shelled
- 1 cup spinach, chopped
- ½ cup coconut palm sugar
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp rose water
- 1 cup icing sugar
- ½ tsp almond extract
- 1½ to 2 tbsp water
- ½ to 1 cup pistachios, unsalted
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a medium bowl, combine ½ cup almond milk with apple cider vinegar & whisk until frothy and curdled. Set bowl aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, & salt. Set bowl aside.
- Using a food processor, process the pistachios into a sand-like texture. Add the spinach & coconut palm sugar & process until combined. Then add the coconut oil, vanilla & almond extract, & rose water. Process until mixed well. Add ¾ cup almond milk & process until smooth & fully combined.
- Add frothy almond milk & food processor mixture to flour mixture & gently combine. Mix only until mixture is combined, do not over mix.
- Grease a baking pan with coconut oil. I choose to use a heart-shaped tin pan, but a loaf, springform, or square pan will also work. Transfer the cake batter to the pan & spread evenly. Bake for 35-40 mins, until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. I put my timer on for 35 mins & baked for an extra 5 mins after checking the cake with a toothpick.
- While the cake bakes, roughly chop the pistachios & make the icing for the cake topping. Whisk together the icing sugar, almond extract, & water. Start with 1.5 tbsp of water & add more if icing is too thick.
- When cake is done baking, let cool for 10-15 mins before removing from the pan. Drizzle with icing (I used a piping bag) & sprinkle with the chopped pistachios. Let the icing set for 5 mins & serve.