A little something on my mind..
Do you ever look back on your life and reflect on the experiences that brought you to where you are today, in this current moment? I think this is an important exercise and one that helps me look at the bigger picture. People have a need to understand and rationalize, whether it be for their actions, those of others, or for life’s occurrences. I tend to do this when I look back on events of my past, which I have reasoned to get me to this present place. As I am today, at the young age of 26, I am grateful for the positive and negative experiences I have encountered, for I truly believe I am exactly where I need and want to be.
Today, I want to share with you a recipe that I have been going back to for about half a year. I cannot express how delicious this salad is! My significant other, who is not a fan of salads (how?!), says this is his favourite recipe that I make. That says a lot! This salad is quite hearty and can easily be eaten as a meal, or served for dinner as a side. I promise you won’t be disappointed!
- 4-5 medium carrots, julienned*
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed & drained
- 4 scallions, chopped
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 7 Medjool dates, pitted & chopped
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- Juice of 2 limes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- ¾ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- Combine all salad ingredients to a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together all dressing ingredients. Pour dressing over salad ingredients & toss well.
- Serve salad immediately or store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.