The matcha-craze is real and I’m on board! This simple matcha muffin recipe is packed with flavour and very easy to make. I find the muffins taste better the second day after they are made, and store well in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
These muffins are
Sweet | Moist | Vegan | Gluten-free | Paleo | Nutritious
Ideally served for
Quick weekday breakfast | Mid-afternoon snack | With coffee or tea
What is matcha? Matcha is a green tea that has been finely ground into a powder from green tea leaves. It has been traditionally used in Japanese tea ceremonies for many centuries. Unlike tea that is made from steeping leaves, matcha is directly mixed with water, therefore eliciting beneficial effects from the whole tea leaf.
Why is matcha great? Matcha is very high in antioxidants (137 times more than other green teas), particularly catechins, which are important in neutralizing free radicals in the body that can cause cellular damage and contribute to chronic diseases. Matcha can decrease the risk of heart disease, aid in cancer prevention, protect the liver, improve cognitive performance, and enhance weight loss. It contains many vitamins and minerals such as vitamin C, vitamin A, and potassium. It is a superfood and should be consumed for its superfood qualities!
I also used this recipe to experiment with banana flour that I stumbled upon in a store recently.
What is banana flour? It’s a gluten-free and paleo-friendly flour made from green bananas. It has a mild taste that does not taste like bananas, so it can be used multi-purposefully. Banana flour is high in magnesium, potassium, vitamin E, and fiber. It is also a low-calorie flour, providing only 25 calories for 1/4 cup. It likes to absorb moisture, therefore you can reduce the amount needed in a recipe if substituting for regular wheat flour (1 cup regular wheat flour = 3/4 cup of banana flour). I really enjoyed playing around with this flour, and I will definitely use it in the future!
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- ⅓ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1⅓ cup banana flour
- 3 tsp matcha powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup mashed avocado (1 small avocado)
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF (190ºC).
- Combine ground flaxseed & ⅓ cup unsweetened almond milk in a small bowl & set aside to thicken.
- To a large bowl, add the dry ingredients: banana flour, matcha powder, baking powder, & salt, & combine well.
- In another bowl, mash the avocado & add the wet ingredients: maple syrup, melted coconut oil, unsweetened almond milk, & pure vanilla extract. Mix well & fold into the into the dry ingredients. Be careful to not overmix!
- Grease a muffin tray with some oil or cooking spray. Divide the batter evenly between the 12 muffin cups - each cup should be about ⅔ to ¾ full. Place the tray in the oven & bake for 20 mins until a toothpick comes out clean from the centre of a muffin. Let cool before serving, & store in an airtight container for 3-4 days.